It has been more than a year since I started using home-made laundry detergent and gave up the microwave.
The detergent seems to be doing fine. Our clothing is clean and have not rotted. And, we've saved several dollars not buying the expensive stuff.
We moved the microwave out to the shed last week. Steve's suggestion being we were not using it and needed space. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it completely. It can be used there if needed. My idea is to have it on the counter we will build one day in the kitchen so company can use it if they want. It can always be used for storage in the meantime. Time will tell.
I remember my first microwave. I wanted one but we could not afford to buy one. They had one at the school auction, but it did not sell. A friend owned it and had it sitting in their house. I made a comment about it. Later, I was collecting clothes for a needy family and they came over with a box. I saw it was the microwave box, but I thought it was clothes and told them to set it aside. They did and sat for a while. Finally, he said, "Well, if you don't open the box, I will." I looked at them funny and went to the box. Well, they had brought me the microwave as a gift! That was in the 80's. In the 00's we gave it away before one of our moves. That microwave was over 20 yrs old and still worked! Thanks Jim & Sally.